Spider veins are among the most common of all vein conditions. They occur when tiny veins, called capillaries, become dilated and twist. Spider veins often appear in a web-like pattern and are usually red, blue, or purple. When you have Venice spider veins, you may experience a burning, throbbing or aching sensation. But what can cause this condition?
Causes of spider veins
There are many possible causes of spider veins, but the exact cause is unknown; these are some of the causes:
- Heredity: This is all about genes. If your family has a history of spider veins, you are more likely to have them too.
- Pregnancy: This is one of the most common causes of spider veins. During pregnancy, the blood vessels dilate to accommodate the increased blood flow to the pelvic region. This can cause spider veins.
- Obesity: This is also a common cause of spider veins. When you are obese, there is increased pressure on the veins in your pelvis and legs. This can cause the valves in your veins to become damaged, leading to spider veins.
- Prolonged standing or sitting: This can cause spider veins because it increases the pressure on the veins in your pelvis and legs.
- Hormonal changes: These can cause spider veins. Hormonal changes can occur during puberty, pregnancy, menopause, and with the use of birth control pills.
- Trauma: This can cause spider veins. Trauma to the skin, such as a bruise, can cause spider veins.
Signs of spider veins
The most common sign of spider veins is the appearance of small, twisted vessels on the skin. They are usually red, blue, or purple. If you have any of these symptoms, you should see your doctor to rule out other possible causes.
Now that you are aware of the causes and signs, here are the treatment options you should know:
A solution is injected into the spider veins during this procedure. The vein walls become inflamed by this solution and disintegrate and vanish. Within a couple of weeks, you should start to see results.
Endovenous laser therapy
Did you know that, during the procedure, a laser fiber is inserted into the vein? The laser emits energy that heats the vein and causes it to collapse. This treatment is usually done in one or two sessions.
This last resort option is only considered when other treatments have failed. During surgery, the surgeon will make an incision in the skin and remove the spider veins.
These special stockings help increase the blood flow in your legs and prevent the formation of spider veins.
You can also reduce your risk of spider veins through lifestyle changes. These include:
- Exercising regularly: This helps to improve blood circulation and prevents the formation of spider veins.
- Eating a healthy diet helps maintain a healthy weight and prevents spider veins.
- Wearing loose-fitting clothing: This helps to reduce the pressure on your veins and prevents spider veins.
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods: This helps to reduce the pressure on your veins and prevents spider veins.
- Elevating your legs: This helps to reduce the pressure on your veins and prevents spider veins.
If you are concerned about spider veins, talk to your doctor at Florida Lakes Surgical.